Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Blogs, golf and baseball

Blogs. This blog. Why have them? What function do they serve?

I’m very impressed with a bunch of different blogs. My favorite is Dan Ryan’s Gone Mild, http://www.gonemild.com, which he describes as “aging gracefully and dispensing wisdom from Kansas City.” Every day I read the new posts on Matt Conigliaro’s excellent Abstract Appeal, http://www.abstractappeal.com, his incredibly detailed review of all things legal in Florida and the 11th Circuit. I also like the political logs, dailykos.com for example, and the official arms of the parties.

In an effort to get into the game, I’m going to try to start attacking some things I’ve been thinking, hearing, reading about, or doing. I think my ramblings will have a more sports-oriented flavor than others.

A few quick points to get it started. I do share Dan Ryan’s view of golf. Dan, I shot an 80 at my course, River Hills, last Saturday with one of my best buds, Fred McClure. Fred shot an 83. Are you ever coming out here to play?

I really hope my kids take to the game. I don’t want to push them into it so that they resent it though.

I’m fascinated by the issue of steroids in baseball. One of the most intriguing aspects of baseball is the fact that people (okay, men) of normal size can excel at it. I really resented the idolization of McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Giambi, Canseco and their ilk when I thought they moving baseball away from “normal” guys. Now, after Palmeiro’s suspension, it looks increasingly like all of them – all of them – were using drugs to morph into these huge, lineman looking creatures. May they all rot in their drug-riddled livers.

MLB is rotten, head to toe. What a shame.

1 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, Blogger Dan said...

I'm flattered! And I agree with your assessment of Abstract Appeal - it was indispensable during the Schiavo case.

80 on a decent course is something I doubt I'll ever attain, but I have fun with golf and I don't slow people down. I had forgotten that Fred moved to Tampa - good to hear that he's alive and kicking. I seem to remember him lying on a piano and singing, but I can't remember the location . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home