Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Miers and The Federalist #76

"To what purpose then require the co-operation of the Senate? I answer, that the necessity of their concurrence would have a powerful, though, in general, a silent operation. It would be an excellent check upon a spirit of favoritism in the President, and would tend greatly to prevent the appointment of unfit characters from State prejudice, from family connection, from personal attachment, or from a view to popularity. In addition to this, it would be an efficacious source of stability in the administration."

I picked this off of dailykos. I don't have time right now to check to see if it's a true and accurate quote.

I think the cronyism is the worst part of her nomination. I like the fact that she was in a law firm in Dallas for decades, before moving to Washington. I don't mind that she has not been a constitutional scholar. I do wish she had better credentials, other than the fact that her office was in the same building as Dubya when he nominated her. But this is a president who owes his office to the Supreme Court and has many of its more dubious issues before the Supreme Court. I was highly offended when Scalia and Cheney went duck-hunting together -- this nomination is much, much worse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home